“MMTB- Movie Making Throughout the Bay! is a 501c3 Non Profit Corporation founded Jan 2010, that supports the efforts of filmmakers, performers and industry professionals throughout the Bay and WORLD WIDE by providing a collaborative, supportive and fun environment for them to create, connect and succeed. SUPER SEARCH Engine, will help Filmmakers Throughout the World Connect, Find Who they Need and come together to film and succeed. “
MMTB has been held events monthly in the SF Bay Area since conception ALL CURRENT EVENTS LISTED HERE
We Are a Non-Profit and Keep Up by Renting Our Studio Out- Check Out the Tour, shoot us an email if you are interested in renting for filming, any kind of event etc-
Here is a Quick Breakdown of our ‘Make a Film in a Day’ Actors and Directors Challenge, No, the Edit is not done that day..and No, No Auditions, check it out-
MMTB has made over 500 short films and 10 feature films. MMTB is steadily growing every month. MMTB- Movie Making Throughout the Bay has big plans for the future and welcomes sponsors and donations to help us succeed! To See More Visit the Facebook PAGE and check out the albums and much more!
The MMTB Directors Challenge Event is monthly, sometimes weekly All Year, All Across the Bay. There are Filmmakers Scavenger Hunts, Mixers, Theatre Screenings, and Much Much More… Please visit https://www.moviemakingbay.com/events or you can see it on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/moviemakingbay/events.
-It’s great for networking and finding your future cast and crew, as well as build your REEL. We screen the films and vote for a winner in theaters across the bay. Winning films in 2020 get $1000 per month, get trophies and a chance to get on our annual award. We also screen every short film in a theater across the bay area and if they win, they go on to continue screening at the following event.
TOP 5 Things you SHOULD KNOW about MMTB-
1. We Throw Filmmaking Events Monthly, where we get together, form teams, and compete who can make the best short film in a 6 hour time frame. These films are then edited over a few months and screened at local theaters, voted on etc… Find Events Here, – “Make a Film in a Day” Directors & Actors Challenge Potluck Events All Over the Bay Area.
2. We Sponsor Films. Investors Like Tax Deductions in Order to Give Money Towards Films. We can Facilitate that. Just send an email to email@example.com for more information
3. All MMTB Films are Screened and Voted on for Awards All Year Long and Annual Awards for Best of the Best.
4. MMTB’s Goal is Putting Bay Area on the Map for Filmmaking and Bring Funding to Create Great Long Term Jobs for the Bay!
5. Most Importantly – We provide a friendly comfortable and FUN environment with an attitude of – “If you say you can do it PROVE IT!” – No Auditions, No requirements, NO MEMBERSHIP FEES and YOU WILL BE EITHER IN OR PART OF A SHORT FILM EVERY MONTH- except Nov and Dec EVERY YEAR ALL YEAR LONG!
– will take filmmaking in the Bay to the next level. The biggest complaint is finding who you need in the Bay. We are all here, but very spread out. NOW you can find who you need for your film, whether it be cast, crew, location, prop or maybe your lonely, need a date or roommate that understands your UNIQUE Film industry lifestyle cause they are in it!! Please utilize and share 🙂
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q. Can Anyone Join the Film Challenges?
A. Yes, Everyone is Welcome Over the Age of 6, Anyone under 18 must have an Entertainment Work Permit, and a Paid Parent Accompany them at all times.
Q. I Have a SHORT FILM and I Want To Submit to MMTB
A. You Will Want to Submit to Our BASH – Bay Area Shorts Film Festival CLICK HERE or the STUDENT Edition of BASH CLICK HERE. MMTB Does Not Take Outside Films for the MMTB Festival.
Q. What is a ‘Film in a Day’ Actors and Directors Potluck/Production Challenge
A. Everyone Gets Together, Gets on Teams (Random, or VIP Chosen), And Competes To Make the Best Short Film! Usually, Written and Filmed within 6 Hours, Month and Half to Edit, All Films Due on the 1st of The Month Following the Next Month. (ex. filmed on Feb 1st, Due on April 1st, Filmed on Feb 25th, Due on April 1st.). Films made that month will screen on the next MMTB film festival screening after the deadline.
Q. What is a Bay Area PRODUCERS CHALLENGE
A. Your Register Online, Get Your Packet Online, Will Need To Include 4 Things in The Film, Character, Location, Line, Prop, and Submit Film By Deadline, Films Screen and Winners Get Automatically Entered into BASH and a Trophy.
Q. Who Wins The Awards for the Film in a Day Challenges?
A. Directors, Team Leaders or VIP Pass Holders Win Any Cash Awards, Directors, DP’s and Actors Win Trophies.
Q. How Does The Winners Film Grant Money Need To Be Spent?
A. Winner Must Spend the Money Towards Making A Film in the Bay Area. They HAVE to Choose TWO People From Their Winning Team to HIRE (at market rate) for The Film. Can Be 1 Crew Member or Writer AND 1 Actor or 2 Actors (No Other Combinations Allowed). Money CAN be Rolled Over for a Bigger Budget and/or Feature Film up to 10x, However You Will Still Have to Pick 2 From Each Winning Team or Add Days of Work to Already Selected Previously. Money Can’t be Spent on New Cameras, and All Purchases/Budget Line Items Must Be Reasonable. Food Budget Must be Reasonable, and Must Include Essentials for a Proper Filming Day. (Our Goal is To Create Jobs in the Bay Area, These Grants Should Be Used Primarily for That.)
Q. How Are Teams Formed
Crew and Writers- You Show Up and Find Out What Team You Are On Unless VIP and Chosen in Advance (Get to Know People by Attending Many MMTB Events).
Directors/Team Leaders Can Bring 2 Crew People plus a writer, including DP with Them, All Other Crew will Be Assigned unless VIP.
Actors- You Are Chosen At Random Unless you are a VIP Actor, and Then You Select the Team You Want to Be On Except for a VIP Team Unless They Choose you.
VIP-Directors/Team Leaders or VIP Team Pass Holders Have the Option of Choosing Their First Three Actors on Site, or In Advance, But Make Sure They Are Registered to Be There.
SAG Actors on VIP Teams- Team Leader will need to have submitted their Paperwork to SAG with Film Name in Advance, and VIP Pass Holders will have to Pay for SAG Actor Passes to Get In.
VIP Team Pass Holders Can Have As Many Crew as They Want on Their Team. (Warning) Depending How Many Actors are in Attendance, VIP Teams May Get Extra Actors and they HAVE TO Write Them In with at Least 1 Line (it’s a challenge, don’t forget)
Q. I Am NEW What Passes Do I Need:
A. You will need a 1st Timer Pass, PLUS an CAST AND CREW Pass. You Will Also Want to Decide If You Want To Bring Food To Share or Get a FOOD PASS. ALL PASSES ARE DOUBLE PRICE AT THE DOOR.
Q. I Am NEW Can I DIRECT or LEAD A TEAM
A. No, Sorry, You Need to Attend at LEAST One Day Film Challenge in Order to Direct, and You Will Have to Provide a Finished Short Film from Your DP that You Plan to Bring or Shot by Yourself. You Can Also Team Up with a DP Once You Join Us Enough Times That May Be Willing To Shoot For You. You Also Have to Send a List of the Equipment You Have Ready. Must Include External Sound, Camera and Lights. Email That to firstname.lastname@example.org
Q. I Am An ACTOR, How Do I Audition?
A. There are NO AUDITIONS, You Just Register for a Challenge, Show Up, and You Get Chosen for a Team at Random. SAG Actors Can Get on a VIP Team Where the Director/Team Leader Submits for the Film in Advance to SAG and Pays for the SAG Actors Attendance. (SAG Actors, please notify us and we will put you on a list to let you know when you may be able to take the challenge with less restrictions)
Q. I Am An ACTOR, What Do I Bring, What Should I Know?
A. (Optional) You Will Want To Bring a Wide Variety of Wardrobe to Fit As Many Characters as Possible. Not a Must, But Good to Have. You Will Want To Be CAMERA READY When You Arrive. Any Fun Props/Costumes Sometimes Help, but Depends On the Director You Get. You will want to let your leader know if you have any unique stuff or talents.
Q. I Am A Writer, What Do I Bring, What Should I Know?
A. A Notepad – (Optional) You May Want To Bring a Laptop, Your Favorite Mug etc.. Whatever Will Make You Feel Comfortable.
Be Ready to Compile with or Without a Team to Help. NOT A GOOD IDEA to Come With Prepared Scripts Because the Disappointment Will Bother You UNLESS You Are on a VIP Team and Have Already Written with Them in Advance, OR You Have Attended at least 3 Challenges and Understand How Things Go and Team Up with a Director. Be Flexible, and Ready to Have Fun, and Change Your Scripts Around A LOT to Appeal To the Directors Teams You May End Up On. IF YOU NORMALLY HAVE A BAD ATTITUDE About Your Writing and NOT FLEXIBLE, This is Not For YOU.
Q. I Am A CREW/SOUND etc Person, What Do I Bring, What Should I Know?
A. (Optional) You May Want To Bring any Equipment You Have to Give Your Team a Leg Up in the Challenge, Cameras, Sound, Laptop, Your Favorite Mug etc.. Whatever Will Make You Stand Out, and HELP OUT! But You don’t Need Anything But a Willingness to HELP Wherever is Needed. ALL HANDS ON DECK! You Will Be Assigned a Team if You Don’t Already Have One.
Q. DO YOU HAVE A CARPOOL?
A. We Do Have a CARPOOL on Facebook- (Once Registered, You Can Request to Join)- https://www.facebook.com/groups/MMTB.carpool
Q. What if I am UNDER 18
A. Everyone is Welcome Over the Age of 6, Anyone under 18 must have an ENTERTAINMENT Work Permit, and a Paid Parent Accompany them at all times.
Q. I HAVE A QUESTION NOT LISTED HERE
A. Please Send Us an Email CLICK HERE
JOIN US – CLICK HERE to Go To Our ANNUAL CALENDAR
CLICK HERE To Get In Our Database for GIGS and ROLES- CREW CALLS and CASTING CALLS
–What MMTB Events Offers- (SF Bay Area ONLY for now)
1. Get to know your local filmmakers and find people you can work with
2. Actor or Filmmaker – Build a REEL very quickly FREE- (SF Bay Area ONLY for now)
3. Create at least one Short Film every month- (SF Bay Area ONLY for now)
4. Show off your skills and get hired!
5. Producer’s Challenges keep you filming outside of the events
6. IMDB Credits for many of the films made- (SF Bay Area ONLY for now)
7. Become part of a fast growing film family- (SF Bay Area ONLY for now)
8. Perfect your skills by practicing with us guerrilla style- (SF Bay Area ONLY for now)
–What are MMTB DIRECTORS CHALLENGES (Filming Events)?
1. Potluck – Lots of great food! Bring a dish to share or pay an extra fee
2. We create between of 2 to 9 short films on the spot monthly depending on how many teams participate
3. Lots of networking.
4. You are assigned a team, no auditions necessary, no experience necessary, prove how great you are. VIP Teams Pick the first 3 Actors to be on their team, and select their extra team.
5. Teams are formed based on how many Directors and DPs take the challenge
6. NO MONTHLY MEMBERSHIP FEEs
7. Fees Vary, First Timers add additional fee to any ticket, See all events at www.MovieMakingBay.com/events
8. Every month we hold Film Challenges (giving away $1000 per month in 2020 for our 10 Year Anniversary)
9. Screening of all films made at previous events at Theatres Across the Bay Area, CA.
10. Films voted on by the attending audience
11. IMDB credits for All Films
12. MMTB awards
13. Winning Films also get entered in the Annual Best of the year
14. THEATRE SCREENINGS All Year Long
15. Locations for the event vary monthly all throughout the entire Bay Area.
–Why you SHOULD register with MMTB’s NEW WORLD WIDE MEMBER ZONE
1. FIND GIGS
2. FIND PEOPLE for YOUR GIGS- use our AMAZING hover pop up profile, this will help you narrow your search even more from the members list. Once you narrow your search, just hover your mouse over each profile and you will get a pop up of their profile summaries. (Note- You might need to refresh your page if you dont see the hover, and if you minimize your screen to fit the member list you are able to scroll down through the pop up profiles)
3. NETWORK- Tag People, Send Messages, See their Portfolios, Links to ALL their work and Social Media Profiles etc..
4. Get the WORD OUT about YOUR FILM or Trailer
5. PROMOTE yourself, your event, your PRODUCTION COMPANY
6. GET PAID
7. FIND A ROOMMATE
8. FIND A DATE
9. Enjoy Watching Independent Short Films from ALL OVER THE WORLD!
10. GET YOUR FILM SCENE at our MONTHLY OUTDOOR FILM FESTIVAL- Either by Submitting your Film or Taking the MMTB Producer’s Challenges, See Events Page for Details.
11. FIND EQUIPTMENT, BORROW IT, BUY IT ETC… Just search for the equiptment you need on our SEARCH page and you will get a list of people who own the equiptment. Then, you can send them a message, hire them for your shoot, or just ask them to buy or rent it from them.
12. NEED A FILMMAKER WITH A CERTAIN CAMERA- PERFECT!!!! You can to the right place. Use our search and narrow down by type of equipment and area willing to travel too. PAID and NON PAID
13. POST YOUR WORK. Use the Dashboard feature once your registered and POST anything you would like about yourself, your films, your work, etc…
14. MUCH MUCH MORE!!!!
Let a Member tell you-
– ARLYNNE RAMOS Our Long Time Participant WROTE ON A YELP REVIEW (FOUND HERE):
“MMTB is a great and fun community to learn and practice the art of movie making. No matter what role you would like to pursue, acting, directing, videography, writing, editing, production assistant, producer and other crew you can do it all here at MMTB.”
What I love about MMTB? I love the format of this group. It can be challenging for some, but it has taught me to organize my time and my team to get all the shots I need to make a well developed story. Not every project can be perfect but each time, I learn something new and valuable that I can use on future projects. To be able to work well under pressure and under time constraint is a skill that is a must especially on a professional movie set. I also love that everyone will get IMDB credit, (An Actor or filmmaker’s professional resume) Outside of MMTB, getting IMDB credit can be difficult, because it is exclusive to professional work, therefore to be able to get IMDB credit for an MMTB film is greatly valuable. What I love most about this group is the people. The friendship and the connections you make is what will get you to the next level. I have met so many people that have led to opportunities both paid and non-paid outside of MMTB.
The beauty of this community is there is no pressure to submit a perfect product. The only caveat is that a finished product must be submitted from each team. Everyone is professional and you’re surrounded by a group of people that love what they do. We always have fun on set and built lasting relationships every month. Therefore, if you ever wanted to be in films, work on a film set, learn new skills, or just have fun every month with great people, MMTB is the place to do it!”- ARLYNNE RAMOS
AS IF THAT DOESN’T SUPER SUM IT UP, WE HAVE INCLUDED MORE INFO FOR YOU BELOW. IF YOU STILL HAVE QUESTIONS PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CONTACT US ANYTIME.
–What’s the Background on this Filmmaking Group?
MMTB- Movie Making Throughout the Bay! Inc. was founded by Elena Altman on Jan 11th, 2010 it became an official 501c3 Non Profit Organization in April 20th, 2012.
The first filming event was in February 2010 and from then on we have held filming events monthly. There are also screenings, mixers, producer challenges, film scavenger hunts, annual awards and much more.
Anything you aspire to be in the film industry, we can help make that dream come true. Come film with us! Join the MMTB family. And one day, you too will be holding and MMTB award.
What’s Elena Altmans’ Story
MMTB- Movie Making Throughout the Bay! Founded by Elena Altman in January of 2010.
“The biggest misconception in the film industry is you need a million dollars to make a movie. 10 years ago I was an ambitious entrepreneur and decided that I would pursue my dream of becoming an actor around Nov 2009. After attending multiple auditions and being told that I was a natural but, did not have experience, I had to take matters into my own hands. I formed a film team by finding people on craigslist that had the passion for filmmaking. Wrote a script, that I would act in, and made a short film all with zero dollars; I quickly learned how to edit and completed my first film “Blind Mind.- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6YFSjsqLEQ This was so exciting and I went on to make dozens of short films and now over a dozen feature films. Barely no budget, I made it work, by providing food, passion and dedication. I found my passion in filmmaking, writing, directing, producing, and of course, where it all began, acting, which eventually became a secondary passion, MMTB- Movie Making Throughout the Bay! Inc. became the first. During this process I learned that you didn’t need the fanciest camera, you don’t even need any film school, and most importantly, if you have the drive and passion, you don’t need the money. However, the goal of MMTB is to provide more funding for anyone to be able to make more movies and create more jobs in the Bay Area and beyond!” – Elena Altman